6357 Hamilton Road, Suite C, Westerville, Ohio 43081

Emergency & Same-Day Dentistry in Westerville

Are you in pain?

Are you currently experiencing pain or swelling in your teeth or gums? This could be due to a cracked tooth, an abscess, tooth decay, infected gums or cavities. We have all experienced this pain at some point and know it is very difficult to function throughout the day or sleep well at night. We at Serene Smiles are here for Westerville Dental Emergencies. We will be happy to have you come in and diagnose the cause of pain and lay out a clear treatment plan along with ensuring that we can make you comfortable and relieve your dental pain

Some of the initial questions we tend to ask is where are you experiencing pain – it is in your teeth or gums? Your jaw area? Which side is it hurting – left or right? Top or bottom? We try to make notes of this before you even come in as it helps with being able to diagnose the issue quickly after we take a closer look and examine the x-rays.
Call us today at 614-568-3909 for same-day emergency dental care. We always do our best to reserve a few appointments in our day to serve dental emergencies.

What can I do if I have a chipped or cracked tooth?

Did you Chipped or Crack a Tooth?

We have all had the situation where you bite down on something hard and you may not even realize it, but you have chipped a tooth or perhaps you bumped your face or head and it caused the chipped tooth. Either way there is absolutely nothing to worry about – we can usually resolve this issue the same day (no-one wants to go to an important meeting or event with a chipped tooth – we get it).
If you live in Westerville, New Albany or Gahanna and discover you have broken or chipped a tooth, don’t panic! We here at Serene Smiles can help – just give us a call at 614-568-3909.

If your tooth is broken, chipped, or fractured, see your dentist as soon as possible. Otherwise, your tooth could be damaged further or become infected, possibly causing you to end up losing the tooth.
In the meantime, try the following self-care measures:
• If you must eat, eat soft foods and avoid biting down on the broken tooth.
• If the tooth is painful, take ibuprofen or another over-the-counter pain reliever. Rinse your mouth with salt water.
• If the break has caused a sharp or jagged edge, cover it with a piece of wax paraffin or sugarless chewing gum to keep it from cutting your tongue or the inside of your lip or cheek.
Treatment for a broken or chipped tooth will depend on how severely it is damaged. If only a small piece of enamel broke off, the repair can usually be done simply in one office visit. A badly damaged or broken tooth may require a more lengthy and costly procedure. Here are some ways your dentist may repair your broken or chipped tooth.

Dental Filling or Bonding

If you have chipped off just a small piece of tooth enamel, your dentist may repair the damage with a filling. If the repair is to a front tooth or can be seen when you smile, your dentist will likely use a procedure called bonding, which uses a tooth-colored composite resin.
Bonding is a simple procedure that typically does not require numbing the tooth. To bond a tooth, the dentist first etches its surface with a liquid or gel to roughen it and make the bonding material adhere to it. Next, the dentist applies an adhesive material to the tooth followed by a tooth colored resin. After shaping the bonding material to look like a natural tooth, the dentist uses an ultraviolet light to harden the material.
Just give us a call at Serene Smiles 614-568-3909 and we can get this taken care of in our office.

What do I do if I broke my denture?

It never fails, that when something goes wrong it is always at the worst possible time. Have a broken denture and wondering what you can do to get you through your wedding, graduation, party, or workday?

If you live in Westerville, Gahanna or New Albany and have a broken denture please do give us a call – 614-568-3909.

Here are a few tips:
First off, determined what happened. Typically, with dentures there are only a few ways in which they break.
• Did a tooth come off or break?
• Did the denture break in half?
• Did a piece of the “pink” acrylic fall off or break off, leaving the denture mostly intact?
• Do you have a partial and did a metal clasp break?

Broken Denture Tooth

If it is only a tooth that fell out of your denture, then that is good news. This type of repair is generally easy to temporarily fix yourself. As always, a professional repair with denture acrylic is the best long-term repair. However, when in a bind you have a few options:
1. Denture Repair Kit – available from Walgreens, CVS.
• You can use this kit as an alternative to super glue. Follow the instructions above and use in place of super glue. This repair kit shows that it also works for cracks in the denture, however I do not recommend this at all for cracks in the denture.
2. Superglue- yes you can superglue the tooth temporarily back on.
• Take your denture out, dry it off, make sure the tooth goes right back in place.
• Apply a small amount of superglue, then quickly add the tooth.
• Give it time to dry, remove any excess material.
• There will be a chemical taste, and superglue is somewhat toxic. Expect this self-repair to only last a short while, try not to eat on the tooth. Come see us to get the tooth professionally added back on, so it will last longer.

Cracked Denture

We highly advise that you do NOT try to fix this yourself.
Cracked Dentures or Dentures broken in half are unrepairable for a DIY (Do it Your Self). If you attempt to use superglue or the denture repair kit you will inevitably be buying yourself a new denture.
You see, a cracked denture is only repairable if it goes back together exactly how it was before. This is a special kind of repair that can only be done in a dental office. If you attempt to repair and you get it wrong, the glue or repair material will fill in the crack and we will be unable to get it back exactly how it was. This will result in your bite being off, lack of suction, high areas on your gums, etc.

Do yourself a favor and call our dental office – we can definitely help – Serene Smiles – 614-568-3909.

I had a small accident and my or my child’s tooth fell out – what do I do?
If possible please save any tooth that has been knocked out. Bring it to our office as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less chance there is for your dentist to fix it. Hold the tooth only by the crown (chewing edge).
Bring the tooth to our dental office in the following ways and make an appointment to come see us as soon as possible:
1. Try to place the tooth back in your mouth where it fell out, so it is level with other teeth. Bite down gently on a gauze or a wet tea bag to help keep it in place. Be careful not to swallow the tooth.
2. If you cannot do the above step, place the tooth in a container and cover it with a small amount of cow’s milk or saliva.
3. You can also hold the tooth between your lower lip and gum or under your tongue.
Also follow these steps:
1. Apply a cold compress on the outside of your mouth and gums to ease pain.
2. Apply direct pressure using gauze to control bleeding.

After your tooth has been replanted, you will most likely need a root canal to remove the cut nerve that is inside your tooth.
You may not need an emergency visit for a simple chip or a broken tooth that is not causing you discomfort. You should still have the tooth fixed to avoid sharp edges that can cut your lips or tongue.
If you live in Westerville, Gahanna or New Albany and you have a tooth that fell out or is broken please call Serene Smiles for help at 614-568-3909.

(614) 568-3909
View AMP Version